Athletes prepare for next year during offseason

Kristy Pan

Pumping iron– Students begin preparing for their upcoming sports seasons, using the weight room in order to get back in shape. Senior Max Ruh strength- ens his arms using the cable crossover machine to improve his performance in the upcoming spring lacrosse season.

Kristy Pan, Managing Editor

As the fall sports season comes to an end, high school athletes are using their free time to prepare for next year.

This period of time is considered an off-season. It can be anytime where sports teams don’t have any official games or competitions between different schools. Although this is the case, some students continue a sport at a different location or indoors where it is offered during the winter season.

In addition to playing on the girls’ soccer team, senior Julia Meehan plays premier soccer during the off-season.

This league is more competitive than recreational and travel soccer, and is the highest level that students of this age group can reach.

“I play premier because it makes me a better player. The competition is a different level and I like having the challenge,” Meehan said.

Some students play different sports throughout the year, while others keep themselves in shape to improve their performance in their chosen sport. Junior Ali Troup plays volleyball year round at New England Shock, a club volleyball team in West Hartford.

“I continue my season even after high school just to make sure I can keep touches on the ball and get improvements from different coaches,” she said.

Other students use their off-season to train and stay in condition for their next season.

“I think that if they can play another sport, that they should [train] because you’ll always give a

lot more effort to fitness and conditioning if you’re invested in a sport. If that’s not gonna happen, then we have a strength and conditioning coach, Coach Mendoza, at the school and I recommend definitely getting in with him,” football coach Chris Machol said.

Crew athletes have the option to go through winter conditioning after their fall season in order to be ready to continue that sport later on in the spring.

“Winter training is crucial for the athletes to get back into a routine of hard work so that they can prepare for the seasons to come,” junior Jace Raab said.

As some students continue to work to stay in shape, winter sports practice and training has already begun and students playing a winter sport prepare for the season.