Farmington soccer hosts conference challenge

Chase+for+competition+--+Senior+midfielder+Isaac+Coello+runs+for+the+ball+during+a+game+against+Hall.+Coello+was+listed+as+a+player+to+watch+for+during+the+CCC-FCIAC+Challenge+on+Saturday.+

Joan Winner of Joan Winner Photography LLC

Chase for competition — Senior midfielder Isaac Coello runs for the ball during a game against Hall. Coello was listed as a player to watch for during the CCC-FCIAC Challenge on Saturday.

Sydney Bigelow, Editor-in-Chief

Farmington Sports Arena (FSA) will host a ten game matchup against boys soccer programs in the Central Connecticut Conference (CCC) and in the Fairfield County Interscholastic Athletic Conference (FCIAC). Farmington will host and compete in the first ever CCC-FCIAC challenge this weekend.

Teams from the two conferences typically do not meet in the regular season. The “clash” at FSA brings FCIAC teams from the shoreline to central Connecticut, an opportunity for all teams to face new competition.

“Scheduling the matchups to take place over the course of one weekend was sought, to add excitement to the soccer season, and to create a fun atmosphere for the coaches and teams to play each other, and for fans to enjoy several games in one location,” Steve Smith wrote for The Hartford Courant. 

Sports journalist Scott Ericson predicts that the game between Farmington and Trumbull in the top three matchups of the weekend. On September 21, Ericson cited senior fullback Aidan Cooke and senior midfielder Isaac Coello as players to look out for. 

“CCC vs. FCIAC Showcase is a great event not only for Farmington Soccer, but also for Connecticut High School Soccer.  This is an opportunity for some of the best teams in the state to match up against each other.  We have the opportunity of playing against Trumbull who is undefeated, 6-0, the number 1 team in the FCIAC.  Farmington Soccer always wants to play against the best and this showcase allows us to do that,” head coach Nick Boorman said. 

The team currently stands at three wins and two ties. After Saturday’s Challenge, the team will face Simsbury on Tuesday, September 27. After winning the Class LL State Championship last season, the players and coaches are prepared for another season of hard work.

Additional games from the CCC-FCIAC challenge: 

Friday, Sept. 23:

Ridgefield vs. Avon 

Brien McMahon vs. South Windsor 

Saturday, Sept. 24:

Danbury vs. Southington 

Westhill vs. East Hartford 

Staples vs. Glastonbury 

Wilton vs. Newington 

Wethersfield vs. New Canaan

Greenwich vs. Hall 

Darien vs. Conard