Student athlete council formed to benefit team culture on and off the field

Matt Martorelli

Leaders in action — Members of the student athlete council meet to discuss mental health in athletes. The student athlete council is led by Matt Martorelli and Jeff Daddio.

Sydney Bigelow, Managing Editor

First meeting at the end of the fall sports season, coaches, administrators, and players founded the student athlete council. The council serves as a line of communication between teams and administration and is run by leaders from sports teams.    

Athletic director Matt Martorelli and basketball coach Jeff Daddio worked together to form the council. Once the program was established, they communicated with coaches to inform them of the purpose of the student athlete council. Eventually, coaches nominated leaders on their team to represent the team at meetings. 

“Goals of the program are to continue to build leaders within the vision of Farmington Public Schools. Our hope is that these leaders become impactful within their own program, as well as the Farmington Community. [Also], to engage outside of this group with future River Hawks and others outside of the FHS community.  We can spread the good news of FHS and the Athletics Department,” Martorelli said.     

The student leadership program was created years ago but up until recently, lacked the necessary numbers to last throughout the academic year. This year, each team is represented by one upperclassmen and one underclassmen to represent all of the different perspectives on a team. 

“There is no better way to improve the athletics program at Farmington High School than to bring in some student leaders to voice ideas and problems. It is such a cool opportunity for students to be able to advocate for their teams and their ideas on how to make the athletics program better. Having student leadership to act as a liaison between adults and student athletes is a unique chance to try some new things and develop as athletes, leaders, and teammates,” head field hockey coach Sadie Robinson said. 

Winter sports are well underway and the spring sports season is approaching, so the student athlete council will continue to meet year round. The students, coaches, and administrators will learn from each other in order to create an ideal athletic environment for all.