Jennifer Liao named salutatorian to acknowledge academic achievement and dedication

Here+I+stand+--+Senior+Jennifer+Liao+speaks+during+a+Social+Justice+Week+presentation.+Liao+will+deliver+a+speech+as+salutatorian+during+graduation+on+June+14.+

MJ Martinez

Here I stand — Senior Jennifer Liao speaks during a Social Justice Week presentation. Liao will deliver a speech as salutatorian during graduation on June 14.

Sydney Bigelow, Managing Editor

As the Class of 2022 prepares to walk the stage at graduation, the school has named the students graduating at the top of the class.Senior Jennifer Liao was named salutation as an attribution to her academic success and dedication throughout her high school career. 

Liao is also involved in various community activities, such as the Social Justice Club and the Asian American Student Union. During Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) month, Liao helped to moderate a discussion panel with representatives from the school and local community. 

“AASU has been a great community for me through the past years and I am very proud of the work we’ve done for Social Justice Week and AAPI Month,” Liao said. 

Liao has also taken various art classes and finds value in giving back through the art department as an involved mentor through the interdistrict arts program. The program allows her to work with students throughout the town to help them through the arts. 

“I am a mentor (essentially a counselor) for this program. Working for this program is very tiring, as I have to take care of a bunch of 5th graders, but it’s super rewarding and I love all the kids that show up as they are all extremely eager and ready to learn different aspects of art from cultural music to oil pastels,” Liao said. 

She is also a member of the Photo and Art club, extracurriculars that she has enjoyed participating in throughout the course of her academic career at the high school. 

Liao will be attending Brown University in the fall. She is currently enrolled as an undecided major and hopes to take a variety of classes during her time at the school since Brown does not have very strict course requirements. 

Liao will be speaking at graduation on June 14, addressing her peers and their supporters. A natural speaker, she will use her words as effectively as she has throughout the past few years.