Runners, volunteers represent community at Rotary 5K race

Laura Butterfield

Laura Butterfield Fast in water and on land — Members of the boys and girls crew team ran in the Rotary 5K race. The race started at the Tunxis Meade Boathouse, the teams’ home base and directed runners through the soccer fields and park at Tunxis.

Sydney Bigelow, Managing Editor

Members of the school community ran in a charity five kilometer (5K) race organized by the Rotary Club of Farmington. The Rotary 5K was hosted at Tunxis Meade Park and Boathouse on Sunday, September 26, with various students receiving recognition during the award ceremony. 

High school students, teachers, and alumni showed up to run the 5K, regardless of previous running experience. The trail went from the boathouse to the soccer fields and looped back around, with two complete loops covering the five kilometer or three mile distance of the race. 

Senior Nick Duncan placed in second place overall out of all age categories. Other notable recognitions include freshman Grayson Ellis placing in third place overall, sophomore Eddie Wagner placing fifth overall, freshman Eden Burwood placing first for girls ages 9-19, and sophomore Grayden Goldstein, juniors Noah Burwood and Ruben Hill, and senior Isiah Delombard finishing in the top ten overall. 

“It was fun to be able to compete with them and still be teammates at the end of the day. The rest of the boys did excellent work. There was a strong showing of participants and lots of top finishes,” Duncan said. 

The boathouse is also home to the boys and girls crew teams, so rowers registered and ran in the race, with many of their athletes receiving acknowledgements for their times, including N. Burwood, Delombard, Duncan, Goldstein, and Hill. 

“We encouraged the team to register as a way to support the community as well as get some exposure for our team. It was a great way to encourage fitness in our athletes. The Rotary asked us if they could hold the trailrace at the boathouse and of course we said yes,” head coach Laura Butterfield said. 

The race was hosted by the Rotary Club of Farmington, the local branch of the Rotary International organization dedicated to raising awareness and funds to connect students and communities across the globe. Student volunteers from the InterAct club, a partner of the Rotary club, helped to direct runners and cheer on their peers and teachers participating.