Matthew Martorelli takes position as new Athletic Director

Ricky Podgorski, Editor-in-Chief

Matthew Martorelli was appointed as the Athletic Director of Farmington High School (FHS) effective July 1. After the passing of former Athletic Director Jack Phelan, Ed Manfredi took over as interim Athletic Director of FHS. 

For the past year, applicants for the new Athletic Director position went through a rigorous process of interviews, and meaningful conversations with the Farmington community. After this process, Martorelli prevailed as the new Athletic Director.

“We were fortunate to have a strong pool of candidates with varied experience within our search process. Mr. Martorelli’s experience, belief set, ability to build strong relationships, and commitment to excellence stood out throughout the interview process. His impressive record of success as an Athletic Director and his leadership at the regional and state levels will ensure Farmington’s voice continues to be heard related to state-wide decision-making. We are fortunate to have such an exemplary leader join our team in Farmington,” Farmington Public Schools Superintendent Kathy Greider said. 

Martorelli went to school at the University of New Hampshire, where he played football. Martorelli is a Certified Master Athletic Administrator (CMAA) through the National Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association (NIAAA). Additionally he is a member of the Connecticut Association of Athletic Directors (CAAD). 

Currently, Martorelli is the Athletic Director at Xavier High School and previously Northwest Catholic High School. During his time at these local Connecticut high schools, Martorelli helped achieve multiple state championships.  

Martorelli, a Farmington local, has been immersed in the community for years and has admired the work of former Athletic Director Coach Phelan. Martorelli hopes to continue Phelan’s legacy in his new position.

“Coach Phelan and I were very close. Like many individuals within FHS, Coach was my mentor. I am looking forward to continuing his great work within the Athletic Department and in our community,” Martorelli said.

Martorelli looks to begin his work in the Farmington Athletics Department this Summer.