Cohort C speaks out, shares the positives and negatives of online learning

Shannon Maye, Photography and Media Editor

The high school entered the year with a hybrid approach, allowing students to rotate learning in person and online every other week. They coordinated this by dividing hybrid based learners into two groups, Cohort A and Cohort B. Using the first letter of the students last name to equally split up the in-person learners helped minimize the amount of people in the school to adhere to COVID-19 protocols. Although some students did not feel comfortable returning to school due to a higher chance of being exposed to the virus, and others simply preferred online learning, so they joined Cohort C, the group of students that learn online every day. As the school year progressed through fall and into winter, Cohort C grew in popularity with more kids switching from hybrid learning to all online. On March 8, the school switched to in person classes every day for students in Cohort A and B giving students the opportunity to experience a school setting that’s closer to normal. Many students who were previously in Cohort C switched, but plenty decided to stay because of all the benefits that come with staying at home.

Freshman Sarah Salamour

Why do you like Cohort C? “What I like about being in Cohort C is learning from the comfort of my own home.”

What don’t you like about being in Cohort C? “Something that can be challenging in Cohort C is staying completely focused at all times. When there’s nobody directly watching everything you are doing it is easy to get distracted. Additionally, it can be challenging to build a connection with your teachers if you aren’t in school. The thing I miss most about being in school is definitely seeing my friends in real life.”

Sophomore Lexi Smith

Why do you like Cohort C? “I like being in Cohorts C because of how self-directed I can be during class.”

What don’t you like about being in Cohort C? “The only part I dislike about this cohort is that I don’t get to see some of my friends as much.”

Sophomore Lexi Van De Mark

Why do you like Cohort C? “One thing I like about being home is that I can go outside during Connect and go for a walk. Also, I get to sleep in an hour more than I would if I was going to school, so that’s nice.”

What don’t you like about being in Cohort C? “One thing about being in Cohort C I don’t like, is that I have to stare at a screen all day. Staring at a screen all day in the end makes me exhausted. I also miss not being able to see my friends in person everyday.”

Junior Alex Cerdeira

Why do you like Cohort C? “I like that Cohort C allows me to, in a way, create my own schedule; during study halls, Connect, etc.”

What don’t you like about being in Cohort C? “Everyday feels the same sometimes and that makes it hard to be motivated. I miss being able to see and talk to my friends and teachers everyday.”

Junior Carol Ding

Why do you like Cohort C? “I like that I can wake up five minutes before class starts and that I don’t have to waste time trying to pick an outfit. I also like that when the teacher gives us time to work I can turn my camera off and relax for a bit.”

What don’t you like about being in Cohort C? “I don’t like that there is very limited social interaction. I can’t talk to my friends often, and I’m not close to my teachers like I was in years before. I miss hanging out with my friends and the cafeteria food.”

Senior Akshitha Viswanathan

Why do you like Cohort C? “The thing I like most about Cohorts C is that I have more free time to
do things I like in between classes or during study halls. In school, if you have a study hall, you have to stay in the cafe, but in Cohort C, you can do whatever you want with your time.”

What don’t you like about being in Cohort C?
“The biggest thing I don’t like about Cohort C is that sometimes you feel a little left out and activities or just general discussion. If the Google Meet is glitching, it’s hard to catch anything the teacher and in-person students are saying, and it makes me and other Cohort C students feel like they are out of the loop a little bit.”

Senior Natalie Wong

Why do you like Cohort C? “One thing I like about being in Cohort C is that I get to sleep in for a little longer every day. It really makes a difference.”
What don’t you like about being in Cohort C? “A huge downside is that you run the risk of your internet/wifi going out…that occasionally happens to me and can make it tricky to tune into class. More than anything, I really miss being able to talk to my friends and teachers face-to-face.”