Service in the spotlight as Superintendent’s honorees named

Carolyn Ray

Finding success in service– Superintendent Kathy Greider (center) awards eighth-grader Kelly Ray (left) and senior Andrew Deakin (right) with the Superintendent’s Award. On November 13, Deakin and Ray both represented the district at the Farmington Valley Superintendent’s luncheon where they received their awards.

Stefan Izydorczak, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Senior Andrew Deakin and eighth grader Kelly Ray both represented the district at the Farmington Valley Superintendent’s Luncheon, where they received the Farmington Superintendent’s awards on November 13.

The award is given to an eighth and twelfth grader at each school district in the Farmington Valley. Recipients are chosen on the basis of their leadership, service, and overall involvement in the community. The school’s winners are selected by Superintendent Kathy Greider, Principal Bill Silva, and Irving A. Robbins Principal Theodore Donahue.

Both Deakin and Ray were honored again at the December 7 Board of Education Meeting, where they recounted their stories and received formal congratulations from Superintendent Kathy Greider and the Board.

Deakin is a member of the National Honor Society, the Math National Honor Society, and the Spanish National Honor Society. He is the President of the high school’s Executive Student Council, and participated in the high school’s Instructional Rounds. Deakin is also a talented swimmer and saxophonist and a member of FRIENDS and Unified Sports.

“It’s a huge honor. I’ve always tried to contribute to the school and the community so it felt great to be recognized with this award,” Deakin said.

Silva had the difficult task assigned to him when he had to recommend a senior to the superintendent for the award.

“Andrew is very good at representing the student body. He is well spoken, he’s thoughtful, he’s humble, and he serves his community well. I looked for someone who embodied a lot of the characteristics that really represent the best of the high school,” Silva said.

Kelly Ray, a middle schooler, has already made major contributions to the community. Three years ago, Ray learned that she had osteosarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer. During her treatment, she discovered that slushies soothed nausea in cancer patients. She raised over $30,000 for purchasing and maintaining slushie machines for the Connecticut Children’s Medical Center and took part in their Vie for the Kids 6K.

“I feel honored that this award has allowed me to raise awareness for a variety of causes, both statewide and nationwide. It’s incredibly amazing to be able to stand beside Andrew Deakin and make our community a brighter place step by step,” Ray said.

She participated in Relay for Life, serving as her team’s captain, and in the San Diego Triathlon Challenge for the past two years.

“Kelly is an exemplary student. She is diligent, enthusiastic, and responsible with a strong work ethic,” Greider said.