Emma Novajasky’s memorable career with girl’s basketball team

Swish Shot -- Novajasky lines up at the top of the three point arc and puts up a shot. Novajasky looks to lead Farmington to another successful season on the court while striving
toward her lifelong goal of scoring 1,000 points in her high school career.

Courtesy of Joan Winner Photography LLC

Swish Shot — Novajasky lines up at the top of the three point arc and puts up a shot. Novajasky looks to lead Farmington to another successful season on the court while striving toward her lifelong goal of scoring 1,000 points in her high school career.

Sharon Olkovsky, Features Editor

Senior athlete Emma Novajasky has made her mark on the court. Completing her 4-year varsity career with Farmington Girls Basketball this season, Novajasky has been named team captain in 2020. The captaincy honors Novajasky’s hard work, athletic skill, and leadership. Throughout the past three years, Novajasky has made notable contributions to the team and has grown as both a player and leader.

During Novajasky’s freshman year, the team made it to the 2018 Class L state championship game where they lost 37-54 to RHAM High School from Hebron, Connecticut. The game was played at Mohegan Sun Arena where Novajasky helped the team play a strong game despite the loss.

At the end of the 2018-2019 season, Novajasky’s sophomore year, the team had a record of 11 wins and 11 losses and was third in the conference.

Last season, Novajasky’s third year on varsity, the team had a record of six wins and 15 losses. Novajasky used her playing time to contribute many points towards the team’s score.

Novajasky is excited to begin her final year with Farmington Girls Basketball. However, the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference (CIAC) has postponed all winter sports until January 19, 2021, due to COVID -19 concerns. If the season does take place, Novajasky will have the potential to fulfill a childhood dream, becoming a member of the 1,000 point club.

“This season I am on track to get 1,000 points. This has been a dream of mine since I was little to have my name written on the banner in the gym,” Novajasky said.

At FHS, all past basketball players who have reached a career total of 1,000 points have their names put on a banner in the gym. This is an achievement not many student athletes are able to be commemorated with. It will be an honor for Novajasky to gain this recognition and it will embody her contributions to the Farmington Girls Basketball team.

Novajasky has made many team memories over the years. From practices to games, spirit days and team bonding sessions, Novajasky has attributed home games as her favorite aspect of playing high school basketball.

“The thing I will miss most about playing basketball for FHS is definitely home games. I love playing in the gym because it’s my favorite place, and I have created so many memories on that court,” Novajasky said.