Hallways adapt this Halloween

Cullen Laberge, Creative Director

One of the most anticipated events for students is homecoming week: decorated hallways, pep rally, and the homecoming dance. Due to COVID-19, the homecoming traditions look a little different. Currently, most festivities for homecoming have been postponed until the health department deems it safe. However, the student councils came together to make the homecoming hallways happen this fall.

Originally, the seniors and juniors were going to decorate “The Circle” while the other councils would decorate the entrances. Snow moved the decorating entirely inside, and all councils came together to decorate one “spooky” hallway that extended from the band room to the auditorium.

“We came in Thursday afternoon and worked together to decorate, first starting with the base layers of the walls, then we put up all the fun decorations,” senior Executive President Olivia Giuffria said.

Cohort B Connect rooms filtered through the spooky halls by the gym, one-by-one in ten-minute intervals by grade, while members of the student council stood ready to scare. The school made sure proper safety measures were followed by allowing limited numbers of Connect rooms at one time, and proper social distancing rules were followed.

The scare crew involved scarecrows, clowns, and students covered in fake blood. The students also decked the halls head to toe with decorations, making the gym halls unrecognizable. Walls got covered in a spooky backdrop, mood lighting in the dark hallway, and multiple other props such as chains and spiders lined the halls.

“I personally got to pop out and scare people, so that was pretty amusing and fun to see the different reactions. Overall, it was a great way to make up for homecoming hallways, and I’m super glad we got to do it,” Giuffria said.

Student council advisers helped their respective councils. For senior class advisers Patrick Mulcahy and MJ Martinez, this year was extra special.

“I imagine this year is especially hard on seniors, especially as many of them imagined a very different senior year that is marked many many landmark events: homecoming, prom, spirit weeks, running out at pep rally…It was really great to see them adapt to the challenges of this year,” Martinez said.

The hallways were available for Cohort A students on Monday, November 2, who were also encouraged to wear their costumes for a Halloween repeat.