Girls soccer team has an impressive start to the 2020 season

Sydney Bigelow, Opinions Editor

The Farmington girls soccer team begins the 2020 season with a strong performance from the very first game, continuing to show their strength against multiple teams. The program has hard working players, and currently stands at 3 wins, 0 losses, and 1 tie, looking positive for the rest of the season. 

To start the season, Farmington hosted Bristol Eastern on October 1 at Tunxis Meade Park. The offense showed their strength with an impressive eight goals, and defense stood strong with only one goal let in, winning 8-1.

Following the 8-1 win against Bristol Eastern, Farmington hosted town rival Avon. Also on October 2, the team celebrated the nine players in the Class of 2021 with senior night activities, and a strong performance resulting in a 4-1 win. 

With two wins under their belts, the girls traveled to Lewis Mills, who also had two wins before the October 6 game. The Farmington offense scored two goals, but the Lewis Mills team managed to score two goals as well. The game ended in a 2-2 tie between the two previously undefeated teams, Farmington still yet to lose a game.

Following the tied game against Lewis Mills, the girls faced New Britain on October 8. Coming back strong, the team beat New Britain, scoring nine goals and letting in zero from their opposing offense. 

The Varsity players will continue to work on improving throughout games and practices. Specific offensive players to watch include Senior captains Emma Novajasky and Ellie Erickson, Juniors Liz Neri and Sabrina Krause, and Sophomore Hannah Sams. Defensive players to watch include Juniors Margaret Huelin, Izzy Coulombe, and Abby Reynholds.

The Farmington girls soccer Junior Varsity (JV) team had a successful start to the 2020 season as well. The JV girls shutout Bristol Eastern with 12 goals winning 12-0, and then again winning against Avon with a score of 3-1. The team traveled to Lewis Mills where they lost 2-0, and they currently stand at 2 wins and 1 loss. Across all levels, the girls soccer program has made a strong impression playing in the Connecticut Class LL league.

The girls’ hard work is reflected in their scores and the rankings. Farmington currently stands high in the rankings for Connecticut girls soccer. The team is ranked 3 in the Connecticut Class LL and 10th overall for all Varsity girls soccer teams in Connecticut.

Looking at the rest of the season, on October 13 the Farmington girls will host Plainville girls soccer at Tunxis Meade Park. The team will compete against Southington, currently ranked number one in Connecticut Class LL, for the first time on October 15. The girls will then face Bristol Eastern, Lewis Mills, Avon, New Britain, and Plainville for a second time.