New Netflix show unlike the rest

Victoria Wilczak, Media and Photography Editor

Netflix has been known to put out some questionable original series in the past which have stirred some controversy among audiences, such as Atypical, or most notably, the book to TV adaption of 13 Reasons Why. With shows such as Locke and Key, On My Block, and the newly released I Am Not Okay With This, it seems as if Netflix may try to redeem themselves.

I Am Not Okay With This had been stirring up some excitement a few weeks prior to its release on February 26, and honestly, it didn’t grab my attention at first. The trailer revealed very little of the plot, only introducing us to presumably the two main characters of the show, Sydney Novak (Sophia Lillis) and Stanley Barber (Wyatt Oleff), both played by child stars from the horror flick It.

With the first and only season being seven-episodes long, it does not feel like it is dragging on. It reminds me of Stranger Things with a little bit of 1976’s Carrie, and if that isn’t enough to pull you into this, I do not know what will. This show did not disappoint in the slightest. It didn’t gain my attention at first because the show portrays itself as a coming-of-age story, and I’ve already seen plenty of those.

This show is about Sydney struggling through her time in high school, dealing with the death of her father, her dwindling friendship with her best friend, Dina (Sofia Bryant) who she may or may not be in love with, and her new found relationship with the school’s outcast, Stanley Barber. What makes this different from a typical coming-of-age story set that’s trying to be a period piece by giving it a 1980s feel, is that Sydney is starting to realize that she has telekinetic abilities. Throughout the series, Sydney and Stanley try to figure out how these abilities work, and work on helping her control them. This show, much like another hit Netflix original Sex Education, the director gave the show a very 1980s feel with the choice of music, setting, and how the characters are dressed, which is another thing I loved about this show.

With the show also being cast with actual teenagers, unlike some shows who are clearly cast with people in their 20s, the show has a more authentic feeling. I was constantly on the edge of my seat when watching. I have a soft spot for when shows that tease you throughout the season; for me at least, it helps the watcher become more invested in the storyline.

I Am Not Okay With This really brings together the best of two worlds, giving your regular coming of age story a huge science fiction twist, which is enough to attract people of all demographics.

This show was also given a high rating through IMDd with a 7.6/10 and an 86 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, ranking in the top ten for Certified Fresh TV. Rotten Tomatoes critic Brian Tallericoa said, “I Am Not Okay with This works well because of how deftly the creators and cast balance [its] character beats with a breakneck plot that unfolds in only about 140 minutes.”