Student council passes Public Information Amendment, new website is published to students

In charge -- The high school student council takes a group photo at the January 30 meeting. The council is promoting increased transparency through their new website located in the Friday Folder.

In charge — The high school student council takes a group photo at the January 30 meeting. The council is promoting increased transparency through their new website located in the Friday Folder.

Sydney Bigelow, Copy and Design Chief

On January 30, the Executive Student Council passed the Public Information Amendment, allowing students to have greater access to the work of each student council. The bill was sponsored by Executive Council President Sophie Giuffria, and co-sponsored by Class of 2020 Delegate Carolyn Ives. 

The amendment states that students have a greater look into the work of the Student Council, creating more transparency between the student body and their officials. With this, the student body can see the levels of involvement of their elected officials, along with the thought process of each meeting. 

“It’s increasing transparency between the council and the student body, so they’re able to see what the council is doing and hold officers accountable for what they were elected for,” Giuffria said. 

Students become aware if the person they put in office is not committed and frequently misses meetings. Attendance is an important factor when considering the quality of work of a Student Council officer. Additionally, students can read the notes to understand thought processes to different decisions. 

“I am proud of our council for passing the Public Information Amendment because I am hoping that it will allow the student body to make informed voting decisions in elections to come. The student council website will now provide all members of our school community with information about what projects the councils are working on, as well as contain important information about how each council member is fulfilling the roles they were elected to do.  Students should use the website to check in on the work of the student council so that they can provide feedback and suggestions, as well as make informed decisions about which candidates to vote for in the next elections,” Class of 2022 adviser Mary Stewart said. 

When on the homepage, students are welcomed with information on the website, along with the mission statement of the student council. From there, students can access their class subpage, the Executive Council page, and attendance records. Beyond that, students are able to access the student council bylaws, news, and different resources. 

“I thought it was a good idea for there to be an option for people outside the council to see what was happening inside their class student council, it’s important students focus on what activities and fundraisers are being held so they can participate,” Ives said. 

All students have complete access to this website and are encouraged to take a look. Students can find the website on the Executive Council’s Instagram page or in the Friday Folder on the high school’s website. Student council encourages the use of the website, and the councils heavily promoted it through social media.