SnowSport Club takes trip to Berkshire Resort

Hittin’ the Slopes– Snowclub members pose for a photo after hours of fun skiing and snowboarding. The club spent the day at Berkshire East Ski Resort, as one of their trips as a club this winter.

Lily Mastrobattista, Features Editor

The SnowSport club recently took a trip to Berkshire East Mountain Ski Resort, in Claremount Massachusetts, located in the Northwest corner of Massachusetts nearing Vermont. The trip took place on February 1, where students left early in the morning to get to the resort just in time for opening.  

The FHS SnowSport Club embraces all lovers of winter sports. This winter, the club spent time skiing and snowboarding at Ski Sundown in New Hartford, Connecticut on Friday afternoons, throughout the months of January and February. 

Berkshire offers over 25 different trails along with many other fun winter activities for visitors to participate in.

“We skied, boarded, and had lunch in the lodge. The best part was hanging out with other snow enthusiasts and getting to know each other better on the chairlift and on the bus ride,” teacher and SnowSport advisor Laura Butterfield said.

This year however, the club wanted to expand their trips, as they started organizing weekend trips to larger mountains farther north, Berkshire being the first trip they took. Those who went on the trip emphasised their enjoyment.  

“I actually had one of the best skiing experiences ever during our trip. Honestly my favorite part about this trip was the fact that I made a lot of new friends skiing. We were all able to bond over our ability to ski and our group was full of all different ski levels,” Sophomore Noelle Ciravolo said. 

Students who attended the trip emphasised on the fun times they had, and the new friendships created. 

In the future, the club would like to offer and start planning for two trips next season, and even the possibility of an overnight trip as well. With the season coming to a close, Butterfield looks forward to next season as she begins to plan. Ciravolo helped plan the trip and hopes to continue skiing in new places. Recently, they have been discussing the possibility of going out west, farther north or even to Europe if possible.

Be sure to check out the SnowSport club next October and email Butterfield or Ciravolo with any questions.