Ski Team prepares for upcoming season

Victoria Wilczak, Photography and Media Editor

As winter is rapidly approaching, the Ski Team is preparing for their upcoming season. The team begins racing on Mount Southington in January, taking November and December to start their training.

Ski Team has expanded at a steady rate throughout the years, as when the team was founded in 2007, it only had three students participating. The team is also into its second year of being an official qualifying team.

This year’s team plans to include over 10 students consisting of boys and girls team captains junior Cullen Laberge and sophomore Hilary Quisenberry. Many students had initially joined the team with little to no background in ski racing,
with only two experienced racers on the team.

“I think the season went pretty well last year for our first year as a qualifying team. I think we’re all really proud of ourselves. Even though we only had two practices, everyone improved so much from the start of the season and put
in a lot of effort to be their best,” Quisenberry said.

As one of the head captains, Quisenberry has taken a role of leadership for the team and is preparing herself and the team for the upcoming season. The team has two coaches this year, paraprofessional Donna Scott and head coach Dave Quisenberry.

Students also work with each other to help lead the team on their own. Scott encourages students to join the team, even without having any prior knowledge in slope
racing.

“Ski racing is an incredible sport that won’t end when you graduate high school. There are opportunities to race in college and beyond,” Scott said.

One member of the team is senior Alexa Scott, who has been part of the team for two years. Her favorite part is the fact that a ski team was never something she thought could be an option but she was ecstatic when she heard about the team. She loves the lively culture around the team that all the different members bring each and every day.

“I have been lucky enough to be able to continue something I have been doing for my entire life. Making friends
through this team has been awesome, and really a bonding experience that I enjoy,” Scott said.

Contact Donna Scott at [email protected] if you are interested in joining the ski team or have any questions regarding the season.