West Woods Upper Elementary School in need of tutors

Nathon Anthony, Staff Writer

Students in grades 10-12 are invited to apply to become a tutor at West Woods Upper Elementary School (West Woods). Coordinator of Extended Learning Opportunities Steven Netcoh is running the program for any students who want to work with kids. 

The need for tutors and the number of high school students wanting to volunteer for outside service pushed Netcoh to run the program this year. West Wood’s reached out to the high school and asked if they could send students to help out.

“Students wanted and needed to do outside service so a lot of them looked for volunteering. We do the Vance Student Tutoring program here at the high school but there was also a need for tutors at the elementary schools. It’s really a good deal for both the students here and at the elementary schools because they need tutors, and we want to help,” Netcoh said.

This program provides students with the opportunity to have experience working with younger kids and to give back to the community by helping them with their growth. According to Netoch, this opportunity would also help older students connect and continue to grow while learning life skills and experiences.

“We sent an email out last week, and that is information about the program as well as an application to fill out. The first step is to fill that out so we know that you’re interested. Then we will send an email and hold a meeting for more information, and hopefully, we’ll get a sense of who’s willing to do it based on the days that you’re free and the days the school is free.”

Everyone accepted will participate in an orientation with Netcoh. The program will run at 3:15 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. but dates and times will vary throughout the school year. For more information on this topic, students can contact Netcoh at [email protected].