Cortland commits to Dartmouth

Committed--+Senior+Tyler+Cortland+fires+a+pitch+against+Northwest+Catholic+on+May+8+at+Dunkin+Donuts+Park.+Cortland+will+attend+Dartmouth+College+in+the+fall.+

Max Bartholomay

Committed– Senior Tyler Cortland fires a pitch against Northwest Catholic on May 8 at Dunkin Donuts Park. Cortland will attend Dartmouth College in the fall.

Frank Fishman, Sports Editor

Senior Tyler Cortland signed his letter of intent to attend Dartmouth College to play baseball at the Division I collegiate level as a pitcher on July 25.

Following a junior season that saw him pitch to a 2.77 Earned Run Average (ERA), as well as a .448 batting average, Cortland also received offers from University of Hartford (UHart), Lafayette College, Cornell University, and Tufts University before deciding to play in New Hampshire. 

“The overall recruiting process was interesting, as it gave me an opportunity to see a variety of schools, and gave me the opportunity to go places I never thought I would go. It was also a little bit stressful as it is a bit of a waiting game to see if your top schools will give you an offer. I ultimately ended up choosing Dartmouth as it was a perfect combination of athletics, academics, and social life,” Cortland said. 

Heading into college, Cortland hopes to “work hard and move his way up the ranks.” However, before that, he has to focus on his final high school season in the spring.

“As for this year, the goal is simple: win a state championship. For that to happen I know that I will have to perform at the top of my game all spring, and that is something I intend on doing,” Cortland said.

In addition to his talent on the field, Cortland is highly regarded by his teammates and coaches. 

“Tyler has this rare combination of talent and an unfettered desire to be better and an unparalleled drive to reach his potential. He has a high work ethic for all that he does. He is an amazing person and great athlete, and I am privileged to have been a small part of his life and coach him,” coach Mike Macguire said. 

At Dartmouth, Cortland plans to major in economics, and meet new people at school. He is grateful for the opportunity those around him have given him. 

“My coaches, especially both Coach Mac, and Coach [Brian] Pendergast have really helped me get to where I am right now, so I would like to thank them. My family has been a huge help throughout my whole life supporting me in pursuing my aspirations of playing college baseball. They have been at my back throughout the whole process, so I obviously owe a huge amount to them,” Cortland said.