The Voice

Boys basketball aims high

Jumping+into+the+season--+Junior+point+guard+Grayson+Herr+goes+up+for+the+shot+during+the+team%27s+game+against+Conard+last+year.+The+home+opener+will+take+place+on+December+15+versus+Buckley.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Boys basketball aims high

Jumping into the season-- Junior point guard Grayson Herr goes up for the shot during the team's game against Conard last year. The home opener will take place on December 15 versus Buckley.

Joan Winner

Joan Winner

Joan Winner

Hanny Wolkoff

Returning nine varsity team members with contributions from all grade levels, the boys basketball team is looking to capitalize on their success last season and improve their 11-11 record. A big priority is extending the teams postseason run.

This year, the team has adopted a new slogan and Witter hopes to build a program that emphasizes team culture and chemistry.

“The Boys Basketball Team’s slogan this season is ‘CULTURE MATTERS’. Our #1 goal is to build our team culture, so that we play well together and make the most of our season. We believe that if we have a strong culture we will achieve more,” Witter said.

Going into the season, a unanimous team goal seems to be bringing a championship home to the high school. Sophomore Emmanuel “Bube” Momah is returning to the team after a season ending injury last year and believes that the team can bring it home this year.

“As a team our overall goal is to get as far as we can in the state tournament and make the CCC conference tournament, as we missed it by a game or two last year. We are extremely focused and excited for the season and ultimately want to bring a state championship to Farmington,” Momah said.

As the season gets underway, junior point guard Grayson Herr has goals that he hopes to see the team achieve as well as challenges that he thinks the team will be faced with.

“I want our team to play faster and run the floor more instead of being a stagnant team that doesn’t score in the 60s. Our team is full of talent, so finding a scoring balance could be hard. We play a very tough schedule in the CCC so every team we play presents a challenge,” Herr said.

As with any sport, there are always challenges and obstacles a team must face. Momah believes that the teams biggest obstacle this season will be no one other than themselves.

“I think if we can build strong team chemistry we will be able to play better on the court and achieve a better record than last year. It is essential for us to push one another everyday in practice and to stay focused through all the ups and downs that the season brings. Our motto this year is ‘culture matters’ and we plan to fully embrace it,” Momah said.

The team hopes to apply all of these goals to the season, as the boys home opener and first official game of the regular season  is Saturday, December 15 at 6:45 against Buckley.