Conrad’s comebacker catch makes SportsCenter’s number one play

Patrick Arnold, Arts & Entertainment Editor

The baseball team took on Avon on May 21 for their senior night. Senior captain Zac Conrad got the start on the mound for the team. Conrad made a catch when fielding a line drive from Avon’s senior Will Boone, and for the first time in three years, a Farmington student made SportsCenter’s Top 10 plays. The play was number one on SportsCenter’s Top 10 the following morning.

“It’s a surreal moment being the number one play on SportsCenter. My whole childhood I would look up to the people that made the top 10, but I never would have thought I would make it. It is truly a blessing and proves that anything is possible,”Conrad said.

Owner of GKess Films Greg Kessler and Head of Marketing and Sales Randy Kessler were at the game operating the camera and caught the play on tape. G. Kessler has sent dozens of clips into Entertainment and Sports Programming Network (ESPN) showing off high-

lights he captures from all different sports, eight of which have been

featured in the top 10. G. Kessler posted the clip of Conrad’s catch to Instagram and Twitter just a few hours after the game and tagged @ESPNassigndesk with the hashtag #sctop10 in order for the clip to be used in the following morning’s broadcast of SportsCenter.

“We knew we had a quality highlight clip as soon as the play happened and had to send it into ESPN.However, we never really know if our clips will be used in the Top 10 until we see the show live. And after the number four top play went by, we thought the play didn’t make the cut, but then we were ecstatic to see the play at number one. It was our first play to ever go number one on the top 10,” R. Kessler said.

Head coach Michael McGuire has been at the helm of the Farmington’s varsity baseball team since 2011 and has coached many athletic and skilled players that have gone on to play at the Division I collegiate level.

“I know Zac is an incredible athlete with such a high ceiling. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see him back on SportsCenter making another acrobatic play on the football field at Endicott College where he will be playing next year,” McGuire said.

The baseball team went on to beat Avon by a score of six runs to two runs in order to keep their playoff hopes alive. Conrad pitched a complete game, allowing two earned runs and four hits in the match. Senior shortstop Dante Colagiovanni went three for three during his at-bats with one run(s) batted in (RBI) and sophomore designated hitter (DH) Tyler Cortland went two for two in his at-bats with one RBI to help lead the team towards the win from the offensive side.