Talent showcased at annual event

Cream of the crop– Seniors Travis Cheung (left) and Chris Lagosz (right) start off the talent show with a medley played on the guitar and banjo. The talent show took place on March 23 in the high school auditorium.

Annika Sager, Features Editor

The Class of 2018 continued the tradition of hosting a talent show to showcase various acts. It was held on March 23 at 7 p.m. in the auditorium. There were 13 different acts such as singing, dancing, and other musical performances.

Senior Class President Jocelyn Bohlman was at the forefront of planning this event, which started in January with a committee comprised of other student council members.

“We were really excited about this year’s talent show. Everyone on the council played a role in the planning process. Some of the steps we took towards the big day were running auditions

and watching different acts. I was excited to culminate our senior year with showcasing all the hard work our council has done as well as the talents of our peers,” Bohlman said.

The council was responsible for creating publicity and helping recruit student performers to audition, as well as selecting appropriate hosts that could lead the show.

Senior class advisors Lauren Luciani and Jessica Tolles assisted their council with the planning and execution of the show. They also helped collaborate with others in the building.

“The AV department also plays a huge role. Mr. [Evan]Foreman is our talent show ‘guru’ and helps to make sure all of the audio-visual equipment is ready to go to make the show a success. He has a lot of great insight into how to make the event run smoothly each year,” Tolles said.

The acts consisted of a variety of different talents. Seniors Precious Antinew played the piano while senior Elena Jimenez-Mcdermott sang “Almost is Never Enough” by Ariana Grande. Freshman Justin Moss played guitar and sang an original song. The show ended with senior Sushane Sharma and juniors Tristan Wong and Pooja Swami performing a Disney medley.

At the end of the show, audience members had the opportunity to vote for the act they thought deserved to win. With a vote of 44 votes, Trio’s Revenge, consisting of seniors Mark Kang, Rita Monahan, Sasha Goldblatt, Shermeen Khan, and Jasmine Kabira, won. In second place was George Saade singing “Thinking Out

Loud” by Ed Sheeran. “Music is a big part of each of our lives, so last year we decided to come together to try something new, which was making a big mash-up of pop songs. We ended up loving it because it’s a more modern way of playing music and lets us be really creative,” Goldblatt said when describing the origin of Trio’s Revenge.

This tradition of a school talent show is one that has been a staple of the year. Students love having the opportunity to display interests and passions.

“The talent show is one of the highly regarded events of the school year, featuring some of our top musicians, actors, and performing arts students. The school’s unique and diverse atmosphere relishes on displaying student creativity, and the show is a perfect representation of this idea. I personally find this is one of my favorite events,” Kang said.