The Voice

Kang hurdles his way into final season

Hurdling over the competition-- Senior Mark Kang leaps over a hurdle during one of last years meets. Although he has no plans to run track in college, this senior is still keeping an open mind.

jkesslinger

jkesslinger

Hanny Wolkoff and Blake Rutenberg

Senior Mark Kang enters his third year of track and field for the high school, as well as being named captain for his senior season. The 5’11” senior runs four events; the 110 meter hurdles, the 300 meter hurdles, the 4×100 meter relay and the 4×400 meter relay. In addition to this, Kang does the long jump.

Kang has already taken steps on making an immediate impact on the track and field program here at FHS.

“As a new captain this season, I plan to mend our current track practice schedule, making it more effective for both short and long distance runners. I also want to strengthen and unify relationships for both short and long distance runners,” Kang said.

The sport of track has taught this senior more than just how to leap over hurdles. It also teaches him more about who he is as a person. He credits coach Chip Apfelbaum with building him into the leader he is today.

“Track has developed my ideas for leadership and steered me to become closer to the people I run track with… [It] has helped me build bonds and friendships. Coach Chip has effortlessly provided me with the opportunity to captain our team and provided me with strong work ethic,” Kang said.

Apfelbaum has also seen the impact that track has had on Kang, and is excited to see what he will accomplish in his final season as a captain.

“Mark has worked hard to become an accomplished hurdler. He is a dedicated athlete who leads by example. His organizational skills, cooperative spirit, and the respect with which his teammates regard should made him an excellent captain,” Apfelbaum said.

Junior Gustavo Rueco has been running track with Kang for the past three years. Rueco believes he exhibits qualities that make it easy for him to lead the team this season, including his leadership, drive, and support of his teammates.

Along with Rueco, the rest of the team is supporting Kang and believes he has what it takes to lead as his final track season gets underway.

“Mark is a great leader, he always encourages the younger students to do their best and he shows his dedication by staying after practice to improve his times,” junior Kevin Gabree said.

Although he has currently not decided on a college to pursue his education, he is keeping his options open. Running track in college has crossed his mind, but Kang is not set on running for any school.