February Break allows for holistic care

Elise Dudley, News Editor

Switching to the regional calendar has been a controversial topic. It was a necessary administrative action, but led to the loss of February vacation.

The switch to the regional calendar is convenient for scheduling purposes, allowing the district to stay on track with other schools in the area, getting in and out of school at similar times in the year. In making a more uniform schedule, the school achieved a more normalized school system. However, in doing so, the district lost a necessary vacation that kept students well-balanced and well-rested.

An individual is a whole made up of interdependent parts: physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. When one part is not working at its best, it impacts all of the other parts of that person. For example, if an individual is anxious about a history exam or a job interview, his or her nervousness may result in a physical reaction, such as a headache, stomach ache, or cold.

Important components of teen health are addressed during vacations, allowing them to feed parts of their holistic health. Students are able to take a break, reflect on how they feel, and spend time doing things they love. Spending time with family, doing activities that allow you to get inspired, and taking a few days to relax improve your vitality, health, and mood. This not only allows for self reflection and care, but time to improve yourself academically.

As a junior, I often feel out of control, overwhelmed by the external forces that constantly bombard me with stress. Breaks give me time to not only decompress, but catch up on work that I may have fallen behind on. Over Holiday Recess, I was able to practice all of the components of holistic health, taking time to go to yoga with my mom, spend time with friends, go to museums, and partake in other activities I wouldn’t normally have time for.

During this time, I was also able to more deeply analyze chapters from lessons I was unclear on, and take notes or complete assignments I may have missed. This gave me a better sense of control, alleviating the anxiety and stress I had allowed to build up.

The leniency of the break, seeing as there were no immediate holidays to celebrate, allowed for students to spend the week doing what they felt was necessary, whether it be self care or spending time with friends. After the switch to the regional calendar, I encourage students to find time to take care of themselves, and for administrators to find time to fit in days off so students and faculty can maintain a balanced lifestyle.

Although we do not have a full winter recess, students can still take advantage of the days that we do have off from school by doing things they love.