Students, teachers participate in Dance for Kindness

MJ Martinez

Dancing together– Senior Amy Driscoll and Unified PE partner Gabby Salas practice for the Dance of Kindness, which will be performed by students, faculty, and staff at the pep rally on October 27. The Dance of Kindness is a worldwide event hosted by Life Vest Inside and will take place globally on November 13.

Kita Karna and Hanny Wolkoff, Copy and Design Chief & Sports Editor

Dance for Kindness is a global kickoff event for World Kindness Day. It is run by Life Vest Inside (LVI), a non-profit organization. The dance will make its first appearance in the school today at the annual pep rally on October 27. Although the school is celebrating a few days early, the global event on November 13 includes taking a “freeze picture” for a set amount of time, and a flashmob to the same song, with the same dance, on the same day.

Over the past six years, over 120 cities across 50 countries and a total of over 15,000 people have participated in this celebration as a way to promote kindness throughout the world. LVI takes all the pictures and videos sent in by these groups and puts them in one video to show unity of countries.

“The purpose of World Kindness Day is to look beyond ourselves-beyond the boundaries of our country, beyond our culture, our race, our religion and realize that we are citizens of the world and that kindness is the common thread that unites us all,” according to the LVI website.

Life Vest Inside Group Leader and health and wellness teacher Courtney Landheer chose to celebrate during the pep rally to get as many students and teachers involved as possible. Participants include Unified students and partners, the Square and Ethnic Dance Classes, both of which are taught by Landheer, and any student, teacher, or faculty member who wants to be a part of this celebration of kindness.

“Here [at the school], there are 49 teachers signed up; there are about 50 Unified PE students and 50 students from dance classes. Any student who is not in those classes can participate too. It is important to note that dancers will be wearing orange to represent a life vest, but the shirts will say ‘I dance for_________’ on the shirt. Participants will share why they dance,” Landheer said.

Although the Dance for Kindness is new to the pep rally, the Unified PE class has put on its own dance performance during the annual rally for four years. By incorporating the LVI dance into the event this year, Landheer hopes to promote LVI’s message to the entire school.

“My mission has always been to try to unify the school through dance. When I was researching the perfect song for the Unified PE classes to dance to, I came across Life Vest Inside. The mission of this organization matched perfectly with my reason for having students with special needs dance in front of the school. The events in our world have left many people feeling like it’s time to stand up for love and kindness. This dance speaks to a need in our society,” Landheer said.

The dance helps promote the need for kindness and positivity in the world, something that junior Lydia Butler took into consideration when she decided to join the Dance for Kindness.

“The biggest reason that I wanted to join the Dance for Kindness was to spread positivity all around the school. I feel it’s important that we always act kind to each other. This dance helps spread out that message in an interesting and creative way,” Butler said.

Why do you choose kindness?

“I chose kindness because when people around me are happy it makes me happy.” – Sophomore Matt Arena

“I choose kindness because I enjoy making other people happy.” – Sophomore Matt Nicolai

“I choose kindness because I want to treat others the way I would like to be treated.” – Senior Jaci Wilson

“I choose kindness because there’s nothing like the feeling you get when you put a smile on someone’s face.” – Senior Haley Prisloe

“I choose kindness because this world would be a mess without it.” – Sophomore Anna Mihalek

“I choose kindness so people feel comfortable with one another.” – Freshmen Sunaina Advani

“I choose kindness because I want to receive kindness back.” – Freshmen Zara Khan

“I choose kindness because it makes me feel good to be kind to others.” – Junior Julia Wilczynski

“I Choose Kindness because I care about others.” – Senior Jay cohen

“I choose kindness because I want to make someone’s day.” – Junior Anita Ghodsi

“I choose kindness because it is the morally right thing to do.” – Sophomore Sai Chinta

“I choose kindness because it makes the day more pleasant and you feel better about yourself.” – Library Clerk Betty Manos

“I choose kindness because the world could always use more of it.” – Junior Steph Austin

“I choose kindness because it only takes one gesture to make someone’s day better.” – Junior Sam Ruh

“I choose kindness so I can potentially make a difference in someone’s day and hopefully start a chain reaction.”- Junior Joanne le