Annual playday prepares teams for upcoming season

Fighting+for+the+Win--Senior+Leia+Ficks+prepares+to+pass+to+a+teammate+during+the+team%E2%80%99s+fourth+game+against+Westbrooke.+Despite+the+effort%2C+the+field+hockey+team+fell+to+Westbrooke+in+a+1-0+game.+

Hanny Wolkoff

Fighting for the Win–Senior Leia Ficks prepares to pass to a teammate during the team’s fourth game against Westbrooke. Despite the effort, the field hockey team fell to Westbrooke in a 1-0 game.

Hanny Wolkoff, Sports Editor

The high school has been hosting the annual field hockey Playday for over 30 years. This event helps teams get in some extra practice before the official start of the season.

This year, 13 teams were in attendance. Three fields were used to host the 20-minute games between teams, and the event ran run from 3:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on September 1. Annual Playday shirts were sold and players had the chance to brush up on their skills before the official start of the season.

Varsity coach and history teacher Emma Tuthill was in charge of putting together the event this year. She sees the importance of Playday and the extra practice it involves.

“Playday is an important event for our field hockey program because we have the opportunity to experiment with different positioning and plays without the pressure of an official game. It is also important to scrimmage other teams before the start of the season to try to work out any ‘kinks’ in our play,” Tuthill said.

As well as providing the team with more realistic practice, the event is also a way for the players to learn each other’s strengths and weaknesses and how to work well as a team

“Playday gives each team the opportunity to learn how to work together to win games. Since the season has not officially started yet, we still have time to work on the things that we need to work on,” senior varsity player Anna Green said.

The season opened on September 8, with the Indians field hockey team taking on the Conard Chieftains on the home turf field in which the team fell in a score of 2-0.