The student news site of Farmington High School

The Voice

Classical music soothes stress, helps study skills

Talia Gallagher, News Editor

Classical music is often overlooked in today’s society. Most of the time, when a traditional-sounding instrumental tune comes on the radio, people tend to change the station.

However, classical music is a vital tool for brain power and can be a looking glass through history.

When I do homework, I usually have classical music in the background to clear my head and to help me focus on the task at hand. This genre has actually been proven to be the music of intelligence.

Recent studies have shown that classical music can improve comprehension of computing skills. Although some people would prefer more modern music for their homework, the benefits of classical should override these catchy tunes.

The music is also very calming. For years, people all over the world have listened to classical music for sleep aid and for meditation or yoga purposes.

Classical was one of the first types of music to be introduced to humankind, with some songs composed almost 300 years ago. This genre continues to be a historical record for the world’s greatest composers, examples being Beethoven and Mozart.

The important pieces that these composers gave to the world laid the foundation for all musicians to come. Today, these compositions are performed frequently by numerous bands and orchestras.

Often people wonder how relevant classical music is in the modern world, but I wonder how it’s not. Classical music is a necessity for humankind due to it’s powerful relaxing ability and connection to the past.

Some categorize classical music as “boring,” but it’s nice to have a little break from the pounding beat of modern pop. Next time you come across a classical composition when you’re clicking through the radio, I strongly suggest that you keep it on.