Acoustic Night raises awareness

Sing+me+a+song--+Junior+Rita+Monahan+%28left%29+and+senior+Sarah+Davis+%28right%29+sing+%E2%80%9CHere+Comes+a+Thought%E2%80%9D+by+Rebecca+Sugar+at+the+annual+Acoustic+Night+on+December+9.+Acoustic+Night+is+a+yearly+event+that+is+hosted+by+the+Gay+Straight+Alliance.+

MJ Martinez

Sing me a song– Junior Rita Monahan (left) and senior Sarah Davis (right) sing “Here Comes a Thought” by Rebecca Sugar at the annual Acoustic Night on December 9. Acoustic Night is a yearly event that is hosted by the Gay Straight Alliance.

Jess Rickis, Staff Writer

In an attempt to raise awareness, the Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) hosted Acoustic Night on December 9, which gave students inside and outside of the club an opportunity to share their talents. This event was also a fundraiser for the club.

“Most of the money is used to offset the cost of attending the True Colors conference held at UConn in the spring. True Colors is the largest such event in the northeast as LGBT [Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender] high school and college students gather from around the area to attend workshops, hear bands, dance, shop and hang out with great people,” club advisor Debby Holland said.

This annual gathering featured many of the school’s musicians and performers. Audience members got to hear a diverse group of acts that incorporated instrumental pieces and song covers. This year, a few changes were made by opening up to a broader format of expressions, such as visual art.

“Acoustic Night consisted of multiple acts of singing, spoken poetry, dancing, and acting.  In the past we have limited the night to singing and poetry, but this year we decided to widen the variety of people that could perform,” senior co-President Nickole Morris said.

The event was open for any one who wanted to attend.

“Our target audience for the event was anyone who was interested in showing off a particular talent or supporting their local community.  The event wasn’t just for those in the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community,” senior co-President Laurie Yousman said.

The GSA club hoped to broaden the diversity of their club and to make the high school a more accepting environment.

“The mission of the GSA is to create an inclusive environment where anyone of any sexual orientation or gender identity can feel safe enough to express themselves,” Yousman said.

GSA provided useful information to students and claimed anyone can join at any time.

“I really support [the GSA] and think that what they’re doing is wonderful. The fact that people used to discriminate against them is awful . Everyone is their own individual, and I’m so glad that people now support it,” sophomore Lydia Butler said.