IBA teams square up for a new season

Adrian Grabowski

Nothing but net– Physical Education teacher Christopher Machol shoots a pair of free throws to lead his team to victory. It was a very competitive, close game for majority of the game until the Buffalo Silverbacks went in full stride to capture a convincing win.

Adrian Grabowski, Advertising Manager

The 2016 Intramural Basketball Association (IBA) season is finally underway after kicking off January 2. Second-year commissioner Jeff Daddio has made several new changes to the IBA season after taking the reins from previous commissioner Carl Johnson after the 2014 season.    

With there being an odd number of teams this season (13), each week a different team will have a bye. However, the teams made up of exclusively seniors will play all eight weeks without a bye. Many seniors are in favor of this.

“I like the idea of the senior teams not having a bye week. It’s very nice that Daddio put that in. IBA is a lot of fun so obviously everyone wants to play, and as seniors, it is nice that we get a chance to play every week and work on our game in hopes of making a run in the playoffs,” senior Michael Tuttle said.

An additional change to the season is “Rivalry Week” which is something that was started last year to mirror the NCAA basketball schedule and add additional excitement to the middle of the IBA season. Week Four of the IBA season will feature rivalries in which teams are matched up based on grade, siblings or any other connection two teams may have with each other.

This addition has also sparked much interest from the players.

“I like it because it’ll make the games even more competitive and add more excitement to them. There will be some more hype during the week leading up to the game and maybe teams will wear their jerseys to school as a spirit day to represent their team, leading

up to their game that weekend,” senior Eunice Ham said.

IBA invites everyone to participate because it is about having fun. Teams could play very competitively or very laid back. Each team is also allowed to have one teacher which adds a very cool dynamic to the league.

IBA even goes beyond just playing basketball. It is a way for students across all grades and teachers to make connections. First-year history teacher Patrick Mulcahy sees it as an opportunity for him to get to know a lot of new people and gain an understanding of the complete culture of the school.

“The whole point of teachers getting involved in IBA is to help develop their relationships with students at FHS. The real purpose lies in the meaningful connections that are made with students outside of the classroom. Oftentimes, teachers do not get to see their students in any other setting beyond the four walls of the classroom, and IBA provides the opportunity to create that direct bond with all students who I don’t even have in class,” Mulcahy said.

While some students are focused on winning the basketball games, others may find themselves “winning” through the social aspect of IBA. Friendships can be made across all grade levels.

Daddio urges everyone to participate in IBA.

“I believe in IBA for the same reasons I believe in all sports having a positive impact on people, specifically teens: it stresses teamwork, camaraderie, hard work, and it provides an outlet for people to gather and have fun. IBA is a bonding experience for me as I get to share something I love [sports] with students and other faculty members. I highly recommend joining IBA or coming to the old gym on Saturday mornings to watch because it is a great time,” Daddio said.

IBA can get fairly competitive, though, and students and teachers alike seek to win the elusive championship.

“I won the championship with the 2009 Cleveland Cavaliers in my first year at FHS. I have made it to three championship games since but the trophy eludes me. The best team I ever played on was the 2013 New Orleans Pelicans. We were the favorites all year but lost in the championship on a buzzer beater,” Daddio said.

The two favorites to go to the championship this year are the senior teams: Albuquerque Thunderbirds (3-1) and the undefeated Seattle SuperSonics (4-0). The undefeated junior team Orlando Magic (4-0) is also expected to make a strong run in the playoffs. The same players tend to stick together on the same team each season which allows them to establish the bonds necessary to be successful.

“Not to discredit my own team, but I’m fairly confident an upperclassmen team will take home the title. The teams that are dominant, have strong athletes and have been together for a few years, allowing them to develop a natural chemistry on the court. These two factors are of critical significance when it comes to achieving success in intramural sports,” Mulcahy said.