Students lead instructional rounds

Bella Podgorski, Photography Editor

Students have taken a lead in school instructional rounds, an observation and discussion process that focuses on the teaching and learning that takes place in classrooms.

The observers are typically both administrators and other teachers. The new format incorporates student feedback.

The process of student rounds and its new format involves teachers, students, and administrators that gives the participants a new perspective on learning while focusing on both the successes and improvements within the classroom.

Students who participated in rounds, such as junior Kysa Sager, describe student rounds as being a long process.

“Once we were prepared to observe, each group went into different classes, observing not only the teachers but the students too. After sitting in on classes, we regrouped and discussed positive and negative aspects we observed both students and teachers that fell under certain categories, some of them coming directly from the Vision of the Graduate. After this, we presented to the Science Department. They took notes and discussed with us what needs to be done in the future,” Sager said.

The ultimate goal is to integrate student opinion on various learning and teaching styles that are practiced in the classrooms with opinions of teachers and administrators in order to provide

teachers with actionable feedback.

“We made some real changes over the past couple years of how we involve students. Generally, my opinion is it’s good to get students involved, and I think they have been really valuable contributors to the process,” Assistant Principal Curt Pandiscio said.

Student involvement is the key focus on rounds within the classrooms and with students such as junior Emma Sherrill facilitating this process, Pandiscio is pleased with the outcome.

“Rounds give us a totally different perspective as students, because we see classes more from a teacher’s view. Having our suggestions applied in classes allows us to have an impact and a voice in our learning,” Sherrill said.

However, students have not always participated in rounds.

“It started with superintendents and then we invited administrators, then teachers, and it just seemed like the next logical step was to involve students,” Pandiscio said.

He believes the largest voice throughout the new format of rounds is going to be the student voice.