Tough loss makes for new motivation for Raus

Mike D'Avino

Set, spike– Junior Erica Raus, center, leaps for a spike. Farmington went on to win 3-0 vs. Conard.

Matt Pignatella, Features Editor

Junior Erica Raus has been an avid volleyball player ever since the eighth grade, when she was persuaded by a friend to give the game a try. She helped lead the volleyball team to a dominant record of 18-3, and contributed to the team with consistent kills (spikes for points).

Being a middle hitter and middle blocker, Raus was a key member of the team.

Despite a tough loss in the semi-finals to RHAM High School, Raus is still optimistic about next year’s season and is looking to have an even bigger role on the team.

“I bring energy and determination to achieve our goals. I look forward to attempting to beat RHAM again. It was a tough loss and I think our team will use this as a learning experience and we will learn from this,” Raus said.

With the season officially over, Raus will continue to play in the offseason to prepare for next year.

Although she is currently sitting out with a concussion, she recently decided to play for SHOCK, a premier volleyball club located in West Hartford. She believes that this program will translate into more individuality, whereas at other clubs, each player is labeled as just a number.

When she recovers, she will participate in tournaments on the weekends and holidays such as Martin Luther King Day, Valentine’s Day, Presidents Day, and Memorial Day.

Junior Mary Schoenherr has been playing with Raus since their freshman year. Both were key contributors during this season and their experience will prove to be crucial for the following year.

“Erica has really strong contact and when she gets the emphasizing point, it brings a lot of energy to the play. Next year, Erica will have a leading role because Cheray Saunders will have graduated and that is a huge spot to fill. But with the effort Erica puts in, I think she is capable of it,” Schoenherr said.

Coach Laura Arena has been coaching Raus for the past two years and has been coaching the team for 25 years.

“As she gets stronger, she will become even more threatening at the net. She has a tremendous passion for the sport and for her teammates. Although we will be losing Cheray Saunders, our dominant middle hitter/blocker due to graduation, I am optimistic that Erica will step up and dominate in this talent leaving the program. Regardless, Raus will look to take on position next year,” Arena said.

With the current seniors graduating, there will be a plethora of a leadership role and help the team make it back to the championship.