The student news site of Farmington High School

The Voice

Sherrill honored for leadership

Natural leader-- Senior Math Honor Society (MHS) President Emma Sherrill presents during the MHS junior induction on May 18.  Sherrill was recently recognized as a Presidential Scholar semifinalist for her leadership both in and out of the school community.

Natural leader-- Senior Math Honor Society (MHS) President Emma Sherrill presents during the MHS junior induction on May 18. Sherrill was recently recognized as a Presidential Scholar semifinalist for her leadership both in and out of the school community.

MJ Martinez

MJ Martinez

Cathryn Tuttle, Features Editor

Based on her academic performance and leadership qualities, senior Emma Sherrill was recently named a semifinalist in the National Presidential Scholars Program. Of over 5,000 candidates, Sherrill was named one of about 720 semifinalists.

The Presidential Scholars Program, established in 1964, is a national program which, according to the United States Department of Education website, was established to “recognize and honor some of our nation’s most distinguished graduating high school seniors.”

This year, three Farmington seniors were recognized as candidates, including seniors Daniel Bobylov, Smrithi Raman and Sherrill. Sherrill was the only student to be recognized as a semifinalist.

“Emma’s accomplishments and academic achievement make her an excellent candidate for the Presidential Scholar program. Emma is an ideal representative of our Farmington High School community. She embodies our district’s vision of our graduates as pioneers, scholars, contributors and citizens,” Principal Bill Silva said.

Sherrill holds multiple officer positions in various high school clubs. She is president of the Math Honor Society, Vice President of FHS Cares, Co-Treasurer of Wind Ensemble and Officer of Project Haiti. Sherrill is also a member of Peer Leaders, FHS Ambassadors, National Honor Society, Spanish National Honor Society and Tri-M.

“Emma’s leadership is pervasive throughout FHS whether it be in the classroom, music, clubs, sports, or community. Her humility has always stuck out to me the most because Emma has every reason to brag or boast due to her success in so many areas, but she is the most humble student I’ve encountered in my career,” guidance counselor Chris Loomis said.

According to Silva, an especially notable contribution to the school community has been Sherrill’s involvement in student-led rounds, an effort to improve teaching and learning at the high school.

“In this process, teachers, administrators and students observe classes in order to give feedback about what teachers and students need to do to make learning more engaging and student-centered. Emma has facilitated several of these rounds experiences and she has also made presentations at conferences about these experiences,” Silva said.

Sherrill has presented to her peers, teachers and administrators, parents and community members and to audiences of conference attendees and professionals, sharing a student’s perspective on concepts related to teaching and learning.

“Emma is a true leader. She leads by example and by her positive influence,” Silva said.

Sherrill’s leadership spans beyond the school community, including her involvement in Farmington Valley’s Relay for Life, an event in which students and community members in the area come together to raise money for the American Cancer Society. Sherrill has been involved in Relay for Life since middle school, becoming a team captain in eighth grade and is now a member of the Event Leadership Committee, in which members meet to plan and discuss the logistics of the putting on the event.

“My parents have always encouraged me to get involved in activities that are important to me and they have supported my crazy schedule throughout high school. They recognize the importance of music and encourage me to balance my in-class and extracurricular work. They’ve also taught me about having good values and character, so I owe everything I am to them,” Sherrill said.

Senior Julia Borgida is a close friend of Sherrill’s and a member of the relay team Sherrill leads.

“I have known Emma since kindergarten, and I’m beyond proud of everything she has accomplished over the years. I’m so confident that she is going to excel in whatever she does in the future,” Borgida said.

Sherrill will be attending Bowdoin College this fall and is planning to major in Neuroscience or Math.

“Our family adores Maine so I am so excited for Emma’s college experience at Bowdoin. Our schools are athletic rivals so I’m hoping she never beats me. That being said, I know she will continue to be involved and make the most of her four years – I’m a proud sister,” older sister and Farmington graduate Liz Sherrill said.