Winter sports wrap-up

Trey Stepeck, Staff Writer

Boys’ Swim and Dive-

The boys’ swim and dive team was Central Connecticut Conference (CCC) West champs this season with a final record of 10-1. The objective for the swimmers was to practice hard and drop their times as low as they could to benefit themselves and the team so that they could win the title.

“A lot of the success this year came from the strong leadership, motivation and dedication our team had this year pursuing a title,” senior captain Andrew Deakin said.

Along with the championship, 16 individual swimmers qualified for state trials.

Wrestling-

The wrestling team ended the season with a record of 13-9. The young team looks to use the experience gained this year and use it as they move through high school.

Senior Ryan Dopp ended with an overall personal record of 24-6 and also placed fifth in the Class L State championship. Dopp hopes his leadership and his success influences younger wrestlers to strive for the success he had in his four years.

“One thing I think we improved on greatly this year was our ability to finish off our opponents and hold the leads we had gained deep in matches. It shows the character and the hard work our team has put in at practice,” Dopp said.

Girls’ Basketball-

The girls’ basketball team ended with an overall record of 15-7, with many moments to be remembered from throughout the season: senior Cheray Saunders joining the 1,000 point club as well as the team qualifying for the CCC tournament and reaching yet another state tournament. Their season ended in the second round of the state tournament with a loss to the number one-ranked team, Capitol Prep.

“We were a good team, and there were times where we showed greatness. It’s unfortunate that we couldn’t use that greatness to bring us further. But I think overall we grew into a team that was confident against anyone. We knew our strengths,” junior Mary Schoenherr said.

Boys’ Basketball-

The boys’ basketball team ended the season with a record of 5-15. With a very young team and a conference change with some of the highest ranked teams in the state, the team faced challenges. One thing they did accomplish was getting younger players more playing time to prep them for the future.

“We definitely learned how to play a harder schedule and compete against some of the best teams in the state, and our overall team chemistry and knowing each other as players definitely improved. What I gained most was this ‘never quitting’ mentality that we all had developed over the course of the season,” senior Sam Roy said.

Hockey-

The Farmington Valley Generals finished the season as CCC champs, beating Hall-Southington and E.O. Smith-Tolland back to back to win the title for the first time in their history. With a regular season record of 13-7, the team qualified for the state tournament where they were defeated in the first round by Cheshire. This season was a major turnaround after finishing their previous season at a record of 3-17.

“Our success this season came from believing in our systems and working well as a team which helped us all on all aspects of our game,” senior Jake Connelly said.