Paying for college made possible

Moving, meeting new people and adjusting to a new environment are just a few of the aspects of college that may worry prospective college students. But the longest lasting and generally most misunderstood part is how college gets paid for.

According to College Data, the average cost of tuition at private universities for the 2015-2016 school year was $32,405, and $9,410 for in-state public college attendees, and this does not factor in other fees and cost of living for students.

Paying for college can place a financial burden on both the student and the family, and it is important to have an understanding of what to expect to be doing while in college, and after graduation.

A necessary part of paying for college is keeping up to date with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). FAFSA gives students an opportunity to qualify for need based financial aid like grants and loans. The amount of loans and grants that a student will be given is primarily dependent upon the income of the student’s parents.

Spanish teacher Jessica Glynn is a recent University of Connecticut (UConn) graduate, and now teaches freshmen, sophomores and seniors. Glynn is still affected by the cost of her time at UConn, and finds that tuition is often too high to be reasonable for students.

“I do not think it is reasonable for college grads to pay such high tuition because we have to begin our careers in an overwhelming amount of debt. Besides tuition, the interest rates for taking out student loans are what usually hurt college graduates the most,” she said.

Glynn advises students to apply for as many scholarships as possible. Many companies and chain restaurants such as Dunkin’ Donuts hold scholarships, which do not award large sums of money, but rather a large amount of scholarships. The applications are usually found on a company’s website.

“Apply for as many scholarships as you can because often times the applicant pools are very small,” Glynn said.