Heads shaved for awareness

Kita Karna, Photography Editor

Coaches United Against Cancer hosted their fourth annual fundraiser through the St. Baldrick’s Foundation to raise money for pediatric cancer and research on April 4 at the Tavern at the Exchange.

At the event, volunteers were present for attendants who wanted to shave their head to spread awareness for cancer and raise money. Participants collectively spoke about who they are, why they were motivated to join the fundraiser and shared stories about their own lives. These stories mainly pertained to the participant’s personal experience with cancer, whether that be someone they knew with cancer or if they had cancer themselves.

Overall, it was a celebration that informed people about cancer and offered a place to talk about it while raising money through donations and shaving heads.

“It is very rewarding to participate, and the event is very fun. Everyone cheers on those get- ting their heads shaves, and the overall energy is very fun and inviting,” freshman Sarah Hennig said.

In order to make this event possible, volunteers had their own fundraiser page where they reached out to their friends or advocated on social media to gain donations. e St. Baldrick’s Foundation continuously relies on groups such as Coaches United Against Cancer to host events in support of childhood cancer research.

According to the St. Baldrick’s Foundation website,“by working closely with leading pediatric oncologists, we determine the most promising research to fund and create funding priorities to make the greatest impact for children with cancer.”

Soccer coach and Farmington resident Jon Cohn, alongside a local parent, began Coaches United Against Cancer in 2010 as a way to increase support and research for pediatric cancer. With the help of a sister event in Arizona, hosted by Arizona Youth Soccer Association, the groups have raised $200,000 in the past eight years.

“I think it’s [the fundraiser] given me an opportunity to give back, and I recognize how fortunate I am to coach healthy kids and to have healthy kids. I have met kids with cancer and parents with kids who have cancer. They explained to me how the research has dramatically improved over the years. e money raised for research is the driving force behind this fundraiser as the more we learn the more money we can raise,” Cohn said.