History Day team advances to states

Jocelyn Bohlman, Opinions Editor

The History Day team is looking to lead another successful year after seven of the teams advanced at the regional competition on March 5 at Mansfield Middle School.

The National History Day Organization offers middle schoolers and high schoolers the opportunity to conduct an inquiry-based research projects that relates to an annual theme. This year, teams across the country created exhibits, documentaries, websites, performances and papers to comply with the theme “Exploration, Encounter, and Exchange.”

After hours of extensive research of primary sources, secondary sources, and interviewing local historians to get a better understanding of their topic, the teams were able to create projects that reflected their previous hard work and dedication. The teams also had to prepare for an interview with the competition’s judges.

“The students have put a great deal of work into their project and I am so proud of all of them. My favorite part of the competition is watching the interview process. The students did an exceptional job answering the questions at the regional competition and I know they will perform the same way at the state competition,” History Day club adviser Emma Tuthill said.

Now that the teams have continued onto states, there is much to look forward to in this new round of competition for the teams. The teams will be able to encounter new competition from teams all around Connecticut, and have the opportunity to spend the day watching and learning from other people’s reconstructed and edited projects from the regional competition.

“I enjoy seeing how students have taken the feedback the judges have given them and improved their projects even further for States. It’s a lot of work. You have to be very independent, organized, and diligent to tackle History Day,” coordinator of the Mansfield Region History Day Contest Jennifer McMunn said.

The club is also looking forward to spending the day with their friends they made through the History Day program.

“My favorite part of history day is spending the day with fellow history buffs,” Tuthill said.

Finally, the teams are excited to try and to get their projects to qualify for nationals. Last year, juniors Eric Chiarillo, Allen Haugh, Alec Bohlman and Chase Fountain had the opportunity to participate in the national competition in Washington DC after advancing from states.

“We look forward to states, and hope that some of our team members get the opportunity to represent FHS at the national competition like we did last year,” Fountain said.

The team’s plan to have another fun day competing and hope to impress the judges at states on April 30 at Central Connecticut State University.