Field hockey celebrates Senior Night for ‘20 grads

Shot and a score– Senior Karen Ru swipes with her field hockey stick across the field for the score. The team had a successful regular season and are excited for the future.

Sydney Bigelow, Copy & Design Chief

Farmington field hockey hosted Windsor on Tuesday, October 22, and held the annual Senior Night celebration, honoring the seniors who played one of their final home games.

The team will be graduating 12 members, including senior players Lucia Hally, Olivia Hoxley, Maddy Jobin, Veronica Pegkou, Elana Robair, Karen Ru, senior captains Emma Cruess, Ashley Meeker, and Hanny Wolkoff, and managers Kelly Shea and Catherine Yang.

Seniors were supported by coaches Jeffery Manaresi, Colleen Crowe, and Jadin James, parents, and all of their teammates. This year was Manaresi’s first senior night as field hockey head coach, but he has experienced this event many times in his years as a lacrosse and basketball coach.

“Senior Night is a great event that celebrates the contributions of our most experienced program members,” head coach Manaresi said.

During the ceremony, which took place directly before the game on the turf, seniors were escorted by their family members. Friends and peers of the seniors were encouraged to attend the game. As the seniors entered the field, Manaresi announced each players time playing field hockey, contributions to the team, and their hopes for the future.

The team set up a display of cake, balloons, banners, and signs to make the night memorable for seniors. Directly after the festivities, the team played Windsor High School. The team ended regulation with a tied score of 1-1 and carried it to overtime where they lost 2-1.

“To recognize and celebrate the seniors, FFH [Farmington Field Hockey] decorates lockers and makes signs. Along with our night game where we all walk out with our families and are recognized for our commitment to the team,” senior captain Emma Cruess said.

Senior Night dedicates the last season of high school field hockey for seniors and acknowledges their commitment to the team in their high school years. This year’s group of girls has played for various amounts of time, ranging from two to eight years. Regardless, the aspects that each player, captain, and manager provided to the team was celebrated on Tuesday.

Throughout the season, players and coaches kept the team’s motto “family is love,” in their minds, reflecting this idea in their words and actions. All members of the team strive to create a positive and constructive environment that allow players of different grade levels to grow as athletes, students, and people.

“The seniors have created a really great culture within the field hockey team. They really encour- age us to push ourselves and have helped everyone to feel included as part of a team, along with creating a fun and supportive environment,” freshman Grace Boye-Williams said.