New English electives introduced for next year

Madison Muszynski, Advertising Manager

At the start of the the 2018-2019 school year, the English Department will introduce nine new elective classes specifically for seniors, ranging from poetry, popular literature, and children’s literature. These new pilot classes will give students new opportunities and literary experiences.

“[The English Department] knew [Farmington High School] needed a program that offered students more choice and that felt more current with what other high schools, as well as college English programs, offer. Semesterizing our courses will enable students to have much more choice in addition to increased access to more diverse curricula,” English Department Leader Amy Miller said.

In order to come up with the new curriculum, the English department researched courses offered in other high schools and colleges, compiling a list of the most intriguing. Once the list was complete, Miller invited a group of juniors to partake in a trial run.

“After the focus group, we refined what we were calling the courses and how we were describing them, and then we ran a demo enrollment during which we asked all current juniors which classes they would sign up to take.” Miller said.

Incoming seniors who are especially interested in writing and English literature, including junior Lily Fitzherbert, are very intrigued to partake in the new electives.

“Next year I am planning to take Literature to Film and Popular Literature. By taking these electives next year, I am really hoping to broaden my general knowledge of English as well as learn new skills to help prepare me for writing in college,” Fitzherbert said.

The classes themselves only apply to seniors allowing them to fulfill their four years of required English, according to Miller. The English Department hopes to continuing to expanding the classes to other grades.

“We hope that in the future, if students have room in their schedule to take a class as a sophomore or junior and if there are available spots in classes based on the number of sections we offer, they do get the opportunity to enroll in one of our electives,” Miller said.

English teacher Lauren Luciani who currently teaches seniors is excited about the new programming and getting the opportunity to teach the new courses.

“When I was in high school, juniors and seniors were allowed to take English electives, as the elective curriculums were a very established process and consistent course offerings,” Luciani said.

Each course is half a credit, allowing seniors to receive their final credits for college while also being able to develop a passion or interest about the different types of literature offered.

“I strongly believe these courses will deepen my interest in writing while progressing my skills and passion for the subject,” Fitzherbert said.