District performance involves musicians of all ages

Student Strings– Sophomore Lucia Hally, junior Astro Abustan, sophomore Caroline Kusmirek, and senior Ishaan Bhatia prepare for the District Wide Music Festival during their period 4 orchestra class. The Festival featured strings students from throughout the district.

Anna Green, Media and Photography Editor

The annual District Wide Music Festival occured on March 27 and 28, highlighting the musical skills of strings students in grades five through 12. Over 300 strings musicians performed at the event which was held at the high school in the new gym.

During this concert, the high schoolers are reminded of the level at which they used to play, and are able to see how far they have come. The high school students also have the chance to act as a positive role model for the younger students by doing something that connects them- a love of music,” Orchestra teacher Shannon Prouty said.

Prior to the event, all strings students attended a rehearsal in the new gym on the accompanying day to their performance. This served as both a final rehearsal for all musicians as well as an opportunity for all groups to combine and be prepared for what the experience would be like at the nighttime performance.

“The beauty of this whole district wide is that young students can see what it’s like to be an older student still making music,” Music Department Chair Leslie Imse said.

Each level of musician was able to see what the progressions of learning are and what they are capable of mastering at each level of their schooling.

Student Sarah Ficks is a 7th Grade cello player who believes that the collaboration of the different level musicians and orchestras is key to bringing the schools closer together and learning from each other.

“The IAR orchestra hoped to learn from the older musicians, and experience performing in front of a large audience,” Ficks said.

Being at the conclusion of his final year at the high school, senior Chris Lagosz has participated in many District Wide performances. He attributes the festival as being inspiring to him, encouraging him to invest himself in the opportunities that the Music Department offers.

“The District Wide Concert has really opened my eyes to the levels of progression of our district, from elementary to the high school players. Every concert that I have participated in, has amazed me at how the students’ skills get better and better as they got older,” Lagosz said.