Fashion turns into passion for Podgorski

Pretty in pink– Sophomore Sofia Podgorski poses with a pink ball gown with peonies hiding in the tulles on the skirt. It was designed for her younger cousin’s birthday party.

Annika Sager, Features Editor

Though only a sophomore in high school, Sofia Podgorski already has her future planned out. Ever since she was in seventh grade, Podgorski has had a passion for everything related to fashion, whether it be sewing or designing clothes. Since then, she has taken classes at the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) and the Laboratory Institute of Merchandising in New York City (LIM). She plans on attending FIT for college and ultimately ending with a career in Fashion Merchandising.

Podgorski’s interest in fashion is a result of sewing with her grandmother when she was younger. What started as just a hobby has now turned into ambition.

“My love for fashion is now a driving force in my life. Almost everything I do is in order to advance my career and aspirations. Fashion has caused me to expand my horizons. Not only do I love fashion, but I have plans to continue exploring fashion, and
how I can better fit it in my life,” Podgorski said.

Her love for fashion is evident in her day-to-day life. One of her close friends, sophomore Bella Cruz, has had the opportunity to witness Podgorski’s passion, through her outfit choices and taste, as well as even model some of her designs.

“She always makes such a bold fashion statement with every outfit she wears. From my perspective, she dresses along with what type of day it is… No matter where you take her, she always makes a unique and fierce fashion statement. You can always notice her when she enters a room or simply just in a group of people. People just automatically get drawn to her,” Cruz said.

The high school has provided the necessary means for Podgorski to continue learning and growing as an artist and designer. She has taken Fashion Design and Drawing & Painting I; and she is a member of the after school fashion club. She is currently taking Fashion Design II in hopes of gaining a greater understanding of design and the construction of garment.

Aside from the high school, Podgorski has spent a lot of time learning and growing in New York City. Along with classes at FIT and LIM, in the spring, she will be attending an 11-week program on weekends at FIT, focusing primarily on the Merchandising and Buying ends of the industry.

“I have been so lucky to attend professional fashion shows in NYC and felt like this was the perfect place for me. I definitely look at fashion as my escape from reality, and plan to make fashion the focal point of my career, and do anything to make my dreams of pursuing a career in fashion a reality,” Podgorski said.

Her mother Amy Podgorski has seen her creative side and love for fashion grow since she was little and is in full support of her future endeavors.

“I’m pretty confident that, after high school, Sofie will pursue a degree in some aspect of the fashion industry. Her goal is to able to travel abroad to study the industry in Paris and/or Milan and be given opportunities to further develop her skills as a designer
and future businesswoman,” her mom said.

Next steps for Podgorski include continuing to take advantage of any opportunities that present themselves in her next two years of high school and then attending FIT for college after graduating. After that, she hopes fashion will be her life.

“I hope to be living and working in NYC, where I can further explore and work in fashion. I can see myself working for a major company as a buyer, meeting with high-end designers, going to more fashion shows, and turning my passion into my career,” Podgorski said.