Grades battle each other in penny wars fundraiser

Pied — Senior Ally Dolmanisth pies social studies teacher Patrick Mulcahy after the senior class won the penny wars competition. The school raised $292 for the cause.

Jimmy Pescosolido, Staff Writer

The Spanish National Honors Society (SNHS)  and the American Red Cross Club (RCC) joined forces and held a fundraiser for Puerto Rico in the aftermath of the multiple hurricanes that hit the island in the month of September, starting on November 6 and ending on the 17.

“Back in September when there were a number of devastating hurricanes, the officers of the Spanish National Honor Society and I decided we’d like the SNHS to help with the relief efforts in some way,” Advisor of SNHS Stefanie Pagano-kor said.  

The penny wars was a competition between grades in the school held in the cafe. The objective was to have the most pennies in each grades jar, and put larger coins or bills into the jars that don’t belong to their grade. The more pennies that a grades jar contains, the more points that they have. On the contrary, if a jar has currency other than pennies, they have to subtract points equivalent to the value of the coin/dollar.

“This was a great opportunity for the Red Cross Club to pair with another organization with a mutual goal to contribute to Puerto Rico’s hurricane relief. Ultimately, there were so many people involved that we resulted with lots of success,” senior Ally Dolmanisth said.

Students were motivated to win by the opportunity to pie a teacher in the face. The winning grade, the senior class, voted to pie social studies teacher Patrick Mulcahy in the face on Friday, December 1.

“Despite what many people may think, the opportunity to show support for such a great organization through something as silly and fun as taking a pie to the face was for a great cause,” social studies teacher Patrick Mulcahy said.

After 11 days of fundraising, the SNHS and RCC’s combined effort raised $292 for Puerto Rico’s hurricane relief. The money will be sent over shortly.