The student news site of Farmington High School

The Voice

Students make money with summer jobs

Getting that cash-- Senior Cynthia Serna rings out customers at local Farmington bakery Truffles. She will continue to work throughout the summer, which is when their sales often increase.

Paige Freckleton

Paige Freckleton

Paige Freckleton, Staff Writer

As summer is approaching one of the activities students chose to do is to apply for a job.

“Having a summer job makes things so much better because you are not relying on your parents financially. Although sometimes it may be annoying that you’re working on a Friday or Saturday, that bank is worth it,” senior Margaret Costello said.

Costello is not the only person that shares an interest in working. Senior Mitchell Ives has been involved in four jobs while in school.

“Definitely do something that can be flexible with your schedule, as things such as concerts and other jobs can come up. Also make sure you reach outside your comfort zone, as you never know where opportunities can lead you,” Ives said.

Many jobs have previously employed college students as well, therefore it is advised to look at a wide selection of jobs and apply to many of them.

“You can check many resources; the billboard by the career center, Craigslist, or any local community board should have opportunities waiting,” Ives said.

School counselor Judi Gallinoto advises to visit the career center as well for postings.

“[Jessica] Schirano helped organize a Summer Work Seminar in May. She or [Kristi] Ohanesian could share that powerpoint/handouts with students,” Gallinoto said.

The chance of getting the job is not completely over even after applying, according to school counselor Chris Loomis.

“After submitting an application online, it is always a good idea to follow-up in person with the company because it helps show initiative and one’s level of interest in a particular job,” Loomis said.

One location that looks for local high schoolers to work with them is Legowski and Company, located across from the Winding Trails entrance. This is an accounting firm that is in charge of a lot of Farmington residents tax returns.

“We look for students that are willing to work hard and that are open to learning new things. Often we like to select juniors with the hope that they will return again senior year and use their knowledge from previous years,” secretary Martha Chamberlain said.

Places for possible employment in town:

McDonald’s

Truffles

Naples

Dunkin Donuts

Yume

CVS

Best Cleaners

Apricot’s

People’s Choice

Highland Park

Stop and Shop

George’s

Truffles