The student news site of Farmington High School

The Voice

2017-18 Student council members named, concluding election process

Winning the ballot-- Junior Chris DiLullo delivers his speech live in the auditorium for Class of 2018 Treasurer position for the 2017-18 school year. The class elections took place on May 26 following the Executive Council speeches on the 9:05 News.

MJ Martinez

MJ Martinez

Allen Haugh, Editor-in-Chief

After the final ballots were cast and counted on Friday, May 26, winners of Student Council positions for the 2017-2018 school year were named.

With all student votes tabulated, Student Council adviser Russ Crist announced to students that junior Timothy Arena was elected Executive President for next school year.

“I’d like to applaud the efforts of the other candidates and thank everyone who voted for me. I am very excited to be working with the class councils and student body to continue the success of the Executive Council this past year,” Arena said.

In addition to the executive presidency, Crist also announced results for other executive offices as well as Senior, Junior and Sophomore Class councils.

The results capped a relatively quiet week-long campaign period between when candidates were announced and voting.

While classes broke away to separate locations for class speeches on Election Day, Executive Council candidates delivered their speeches live over the 9:05 News during Connect sessions. Sophomore Dayna Deakin gave one such speech in her successful run for Executive Secretary.

“Giving a speech live on air was a totally different experience than giving one in person. It’s a little less personal; there’s no cheering or applause or reaction, so you’re left not knowing how your peers feel about your speech. On the other hand, you’re speaking to a camera instead of looking at your whole class. It’s a little less nerve-wracking, personally,” Deakin said.

In their speeches, candidates largely shied away from the kinds of attacks on the productivity of the councils that were common in last year’s speeches.

Candidates who had never served on the council before made calls for “fresh ideas,” as junior Sunny Kwon did in his speech for President of the Class of 2018.

Kwon’s opponent, incumbent Class of 2018 President junior Jocelyn Bohlman, was re-elected. Despite a power failure in the auditorium whilst speaking, she continued to deliver a speech in which she defended the work of the Junior Class Council.

“We raised over $6,000 for Amy’s Angels the past two years and helped fund upgrading the sign at the bottom of the hill. We sent dozens of volunteers to Middlewoods and the Hartford Marathon… Change can be good when things don’t work, but it will never compare to getting things right the first time,” Bohlman said.

Besides speeches, candidates took to other forms of campaigning. While only a few candidates put up posters, many encouraged their friends to share their support on social media.

Sophomore Kieran Mangla put up posters around the school and paid for a Snapchat filter that supporters could use on Election Day.

“Most people rely on word-of-mouth. I believe that, when running for office, it’s important to use all your resources. My goal was to get people talking about my campaign,” Mangla said.

This year’s election cycle began on April 24, when Crist began accepting declarations of candidacy and sent a message to the student body outlining the election process. This year was the first in which he managed Student Council elections.

“I found the experience of running the freshmen elections in September as a helpful tuneup for this huge event, but there were so many moving parts for this election that made it tough to plan and organize. The students helped to make my job easier by meeting deadlines and being responsible about campaigning for votes,” Crist said.

While newly-elected students will not take up their positions until the beginning of the 2017-18 school year in August, some incoming members have already begun to make plans on how to best fulfill their campaign promises.

In laying out his vision for next year, junior and newly-elected Class of 2018 Treasurer Chris DiLullo emphasized the number of obligations the council has.

“I really look forward to planning creative, entertaining events and providing for the wants and needs of the class. I want us to continue doing volunteer work and everything else we do for the community. There’s a lot to get done, but we’re all up for it,” DiLullo said.

Executive Council:

President – Junior Timothy Arena

Vice President Internal –

Junior Theodore Colavecchio

Vice President External –

Junior Annika Sager

Treasurer – Junior Katia Battistoni

Secretary – Sophomore Dayna Deakin

Class of 2018:

Juniors

President – Jocelyn Bohlman

Vice President – Marissa Macaro

Treasurer – Chris DiLullo

Secretary – Mark Kang

Delegates – Megan Caccamo, Aly Dolmanisth, Chris Lagosz

Class of 2019:

Sophomores

President – Joanne Le

Vice President – Haoyi Wang

Treasurer – Sam Ruh

Secretary – Greg Lagosz

Delegates – Julia Pignatella, Katie Siuta, Molly McGuigan, Som Sedigh

Class of 2020:

Freshmen

President – Amanda Rodrigues

Vice President – Sophie Giuffria

Treasurer – Samuel Hogan

Secretary – Andrew Fiondella

Delegates – Carolyn Ives, Sarah Hennig, Matthew Arena, Gillian Fulton