Crew fundraises with ducks

Gone fishin’-- Members of the school’s crew team fish rubber ducks out of the Farmington River after the Duck Race was completed. This was part of their annual Duck Race fundraiser on May 1 at Tunxis Mead Park.

Debbie Burns

Gone fishin’– Members of the school’s crew team fish rubber ducks out of the Farmington River after the Duck Race was completed. This was part of their annual Duck Race fundraiser on May 1 at Tunxis Mead Park.

Jocelyn Bohlman, Opinions Editor

The annual Duck Race fundraiser for the crew team was held May 1 at the Farmington Boat House at Tunxis Mead Park. The money raised helps support equipment purchases and entry fees for the regatta. Each raffle ticket correlates to a numbered rubber duck which then races down the Farmington River. The owner of the first duck to cross the finish line wins a $1000 Visa gift card, with the owner of the ducks following receiving $500, $250, $100 and $50.

“I look forward to the duck race every year because it’s amazing watching this huge mass of ducks flowing down the river where we race,” junior Jace Raab said.

Teams from Bayview, Avon, Lewis Mills and Xavier saw the nearly 4,000 ducks floating down the river and later competed in the races.

“The duck race is always one of my favorite races every year. Seeing the ducks float by before the races are kicked off is always amazing. Also, the competition is good, and it’s always see many members from the Farmington com- fun to hang out with the guys from other towns. Fun was had by all,” Avon rower Neil Bratton said.

Students like freshman Grace Dunkin also reflected on their experience at the race.

“My favorite part of the race was being able to see many members from the Farmington community visit the boathouse to see the duck race despite the weather,” Dunkin said.

The race was also sentimental for the team, where they honored their seniors for their last home race.

“My favorite part is honoring the seniors and all their accomplishments. It’s always sad to know that it’s their last home race, but it is really nice being able to honor them and all they have done for the Farmington crew team,” sophomore Marissa Macaro said.

The team looks forward to what next year’s race will bring them and to close off the season strongly with their last few races.