The Voice

Summer is time to give back

With the summer coming up, the stress of managing a billion different things dies down, and suddenly we’re plagued with more time than we know what do with. Instead of spending days laying around in front of a TV or in the sun, investing time into helping others in need would be well worth our time.

Although we are not constantly reminded by school announcements and extra-curriculars of the people in our community that are in need, they still exist and are in need of our help. Volunteering does not have to be a one time thing that you do at a school-sponsored event like Relay for Life.

That experience can continue even when those events are over. With so much time on our hands, we should utilize that time to give back and be useful members of society.

Beyond just the relief it would give to people who are struggling, volunteering also gives a feeling of achievement. There is no better feeling than knowing that we contributed something valuable into someone else’s life. On the community level, that helps foster good connections, feelings and growth.

Now, you don’t have to just volunteer in your home base; there are many other ways to reach out to people all across the globe. You can travel and work with relief groups helping refugees or impoverished communities in places outside your comfort zone. Not only do you become a source of relief for people but you also get the experience of a lifetime.

It’s so easy to get caught up in our busy lives that we neglect to see how much better we have it than most people in the world and that we have some power in offering support into their lives. One of the most empowering things is having the ability to contribute to the world. Our purpose is to help each other and having the opportunity to help each other and grow from that experience is priceless.

If you’ve never volunteered during your summer, try something different this year. The experience whether local, national or even global is well worth it. If you have volunteered in the past, try something different. Work in communities you never really thought you would before. Do something outside your comfort zone. You never know what you will walk away with.