Wroblewski treads two titles

Joanna Wroblewski

Cutting through the competition– Senior Josh Wroblewski rips through the water during the 200 meter freestyle at State Opens. State Opens was held on March 19 at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. Wroblewski plans on continuing his swim success as a Husky at the University of Connecticut.

Mary Schoenherr, Sports Editor

Senior Josh Wroblewski has made his name known in the Athletic Department through his record-breaking swim time. Wroblewski passed another milestone on Tuesday, March 14, when he won two state titles as Class L Champion.

“Aside from Josh being a talented athlete and our first “All-American” swimmer, I have enjoyed watching Josh enjoy the team and his team mates,” swim and dive coach Scott Ferrigno said.

Wroblewski swam the 200 and 500 meter freestyle. He finished with a 1:40.68 in the 200 free at States and a 4:34.00 in the 500 free. By finishing first in both events, Wroblewski qualified for the State Opens. Wroblewski prepared for these events by training in the pool twice a day. He focused on sprints, which he claims to have helped his endurance for the race.

“He is the most dedicated person I’ve ever seen in the pool,” boys’ swim captain senior Charlie Leary said.

Opens took place on Saturday, March 19, at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut.

Wroblewski finished second in both of his events. He improved his 200 meter time to 1:38.70, cutting down two seconds from four days prior. He also came in at 4:29.34 for his 500 free. Wroblewski’s performance earned him a spot on the All-American team for both events.

He also earned a new record for the Men’s Connecticut 200 meter freestyle 17-18.

“We are so proud of Josh, he worked so hard and trained for many hours ;we are grateful for the career he has made for himself,” his mother Joanna Wroblewski said.

Wroblewski will be attending the University of Connecticut where he will continue to pursue his swimming career.

“I am going to miss high school swimming; it has been an amazing four years, but I can’t wait to be a Husky,” Wroblewski said.