SpiriThon benefits Connecticut Children’s Medical Center

Kristy Pan

Dancing for donations– Six-year old Connecticut Children’s Medical Center patient Joey Divito and mother Stephanie Divito speak to students, teachers and parents about his rare condition and experience at the hospital. In addition to the Divito family, beauty pageant winners Miss Connecticut and Miss Bristol attended the SpiritThon to share their support as guests.

Hanny Wolkoff, Advertising Manager

Formerly known as the Dance-a-THON, the high school hosted the SpiriThon event, an effort to raise money for the Connecticut Children’s Medical Center (CCMC), on February 4. The event’s participants collected a total of $3,432 to benefit the CCMC.

The event, which stretched from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m., was kicked off with an address by six-year-old CCMC patient Joey Divito and his mother Stephanie Divito.

“We could not be happier with the support that the CCMC has provided us. When we walk through those doors, everybody – the janitors, security guards, nurses and doctors – everybody knows Joey by name. It’s a home away from home… That’s what your support is going to,” his mother said.

Joey Divito receives treatment for a condition called severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID), which causes his immune system to attack his body with little to no provocation. He receives transfusions at CCMC every two weeks to manage the condition.

After the Divitos’ address, activities were held throughout the night and included dodgeball, badminton, and trivia tournaments in addition to the dancing that defined last year’s event. Miss Connecticut Pageant winner Alyssa Taglia and Miss Bristol Pageant winner Gina Salvatore also made appearances at the event.

Funds raised by the Farmington SpiriThon will be pooled with the money raised by the University of Connecticut’s (UConn) HuskyTHON and other partner schools before being directed to the CCMC. Farmington’s SpiriThon haul of $3,432 topped the $2,100 that was raised in 2016. Over $700,000 that was raised for the CCMC by all schools last year.

Social studies teacher Patrick Mulcahy served as the organizer of Farmington’s SpiriThon event, working to plan the event and recruit students to participate. Students who wished to take part in the event were required to raise a minimum of $15.

“My fundraising experience has taught me how each individual can have an impact within our community. I know that each donation I have received, and every dollar I have raised will go to the local children’s hospital, and that feeling alone is amazing,” freshman participant Sophie Giuffria said.    

Mulcahy encouraged students to participate by giving those who raise the greatest amount of money the opportunity to go to the UConn HuskyTHON and present the check from the high school. Giuffria, who raised $361.33, will be one of those students, along with four others.

Sophomore Grace Duncan participated in the event last year and was pleased to be more involved with the event this year.

“I participate in SpiriThon as a way to give back to the community and work with friends and members of the school that I don’t see too often to do so. It is a really fun event for a great cause, so I think putting the effort in is totally worth it,” Duncan said.